PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Upon finding your own military memorabilia.
Old 1st May 2014, 17:56
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upon finding your own military memorabilia.

I have recently been in the process of moving home. This has taken a little longer than I envisaged, and only today am I unpacking the boxes. Doing the boxes packed with the many books I own, something fell out.
Its a little yellow plastic temporary ID card from my time at Basra COB. Apart from the usual short burst of facts - my name and initial, rank and number it has an EXPIRE date marked in red, thankfully not it seems the date of yours trulys potential or planned demise but presumably the date the card runs out, not me.
Also my id photos on it, from a few years ago now, taken in the office at the HQ office in the COB. I have a well developed "Shearer Island" on my forehead, am in desert combats and have a rifle slung across my back. Get some...! Pity me face is in total shadow, or maybe not.
Finally along the bottom but taking up about 30% of the total space, in much bigger bolder letters are the letters DH.
I would like to think this stood for Dead Hard. But more likely, it probably stands for Duty Halfwit. Would be more appropriate under the circumstances. Cannot recall what that means.

I wonder what kind of things you all have or have found after an absence of months, years or decades?
This little yellow thing pulled me right up short. I have no recollection of packing it and cannot even remember the last time I saw it - I must have stuck it in a book, whose to say even on the flight home and totally forgotten all about it, until now, tonight.

What kind of memos do you have? That provokes a memory, touchstone or past time?

Good evening.