PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skills Test - Robin HR200
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2003, 20:28
Evo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a good website about the aeroplanes anywhere? The Robin/Apex one isn't very helpful, and that's as far as I've looked. Love the aeroplanes, especially the 2160i - wonderful compared to the PA-28 I learned on.

Anyway, Glides/PFLs...

a) Nope, switched to the 2120/2160 after my PPL. Love them

b) Drop the first stage of flap (10 degrees) as usual, but wait for the second stage of flap until you know you've made it in to the field. On the 2120 the second stage (35 degrees) slows the aeroplane down very well, so you dont want to add second stage early unless you're seriously high. However, if you're high then better to...

c) This isn't type specific, but remember that you can compensate for being too high or low when turning final. You'll get rid of height in the turn, so if you're high extend the base leg past the centreline and S-turn back to final, if you're low then cut the corner. You can also throw in some S-turns on final and/or sideslip to get rid of excess height - it's always better to be a bit high on a glide approach than too low! Once you're sure you'll make it in drop the drag flap. (edited to add: also a general tip, but learn the speeds and trim for best glide asap. Glides and PFLs are much easier when you dont have to fight the aeroplane to get the approach speed right).

HTH. Never liked glide approaches myself, but they are a good lesson in judging the approach to land. You can always add power for the others if you've got it wrong