PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2014, 15:33
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So why are the Cirrus aircraft developing such a reputation for fatalities?

Can one of those so eager to point out the benefits of being able to deploy a chute tell me why so many fatal accidents have occurred in these aircraft? I'm trying to understand why a safety device that on the face of it seems such an advance hasn't reduced fatalities to almost zero?

It strikes me that these aircraft attract a similar type of pilot to past aircraft such as the Beech Bonanza's or Mooney's? I'm pretty sure their fatality statistics didn't build up anything like as quickly as the Cirrus aircraft have though?

Whilst cases have been shown of successful deployment outside the design parameters of the BRS system, you then have to ask why those pilots used them in such a way? Cirrus will point out their success in such cases as if that proves how good the system is, but then if a fatality occurs they just wash their hands and say the system was wrongly used. Ok, as a last ditch possible get out of jail card then great, I'd use it for sure! However, some on here are saying the use of the chute shouldn't be discouraged or once the engine fails you will die unless you pull the handle. No wonder they are being used inappropriately

Have I just answered my own question?

SS