PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2014, 13:08
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
You have not got a single Bagger to support your crusade.
You make that sound as though it's a sine qua non for our 'crusade'. You obviously speak for all baggers and have full authority to do so. Very impressive, but even if you were right in what you say it would only be par for the course. We dug out the gross unairworthiness of the Chinook HC2 and were imediately attacked by those that thought we were having a crack at their aircraft. Ditto the Nimrod, ditto the Hercules, ditto Tornado, ditto Hawk. The Hastings was once grounded for gross unairworthiness following the Abingdon tragedy. If t'internet had been around then no doubt I would have been piling in as 'concerned of Changi' to oppose it. I would have been wrong, and count myself lucky that the RAF had a leadership that knew the importance of airworthiness in order to maintain its Operational Capability.

Don't shoot the messengers tourist. UK Military Aviation is riddled with unairworthiness. I cannot see how the MAA can point to any fleet or any system and declare it airworthy, for they do not know how to. As fatal air accident after fatal air accident occurs, as often as not it turns out to be Airworthiness Related. That may not be flagged up by the SI, it certainly wont be flagged up by the MOD as it settles with the family, nor with the Coroner, and certainly not with us, but turn out it often does. That is no way to run a whelk stall let alone an air force. Prevention is better than cure and a competent and independent authority is essential for that. That is where we have to start. It will be a long process because repair takes time, only destruction is instantaneous. We have to repair airworthiness before we go to war with an operationally capable air force, or we will not prevail IMHO.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 1st May 2014 at 13:19.