PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenge: Define 'airside'
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2014, 09:19
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 429 Likes on 226 Posts
If I recall, in the UK it started when a catering(?) truck hit a 747 at Heathrow about 15 years ago.
It goes back much further than 15 years!

I had an issue over this subject with my insurance company in 1990.

I was RAF aircrew (declared on the proposal document) and changed car insurance companies. The company kept sending me monthly cover notes instead of the expected policy booklet and certificate. After five months of me pestering them (!) the policy document arrived and it stated "The policy shall not be operative if the vehicle is driven in, on, or around any aviation location".

I immediately got in touch with them to clarify what this meant. It meant that as far as they were concerned, once I turned off the main road onto the camp I wasn't even covered driving to work! When I pointed out that they had accepted the proposal and my money for five months without informing me of this lack of cover they declared my policy void.

I had to buy new insurance but was very pedantic about emphasised where I was driving to!

So be very careful of the wording and if in doubt, clarify directly with the company - and get it in writing, of course!