PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Pilots refuse to operate flights due to SARS
Old 28th Apr 2003, 18:42
sinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess you don't know the facts but the directive does not state that the aircraft should be quarantined for 10 days , but only the cabin or cockpit crew . I managed to get hold of a copy of the directive thanks to a journalist friend of mine .

As for the cabin crew their union is too weak to take on the management . The cabin crew has 2-3 different unions , one representing the male flight attendants , the second representing the female flight attendants & still one more representing the older female flight attendants who recently fought for their retirement age to be extended to 58 & won . Also none of them are license holders so if they go on strike etc they can be easily replaced by any one who just has to undergo a very basic training in flight safety & inflight service . This has been done before . In the late 80's(if i remember correctly) the cabin crew had gone on strike & they were replaced with people from other departments & various catering colleges .