PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2014, 21:40
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jonzarno, there is not much information on your potted biography: PPL, IR, and thats about it. How many hours have you flown? in what aircraft? and why are you so very passionate about the Cirrus? I presume you own one?
Do you have the agency as well?

Those of us who had to fly without being able to take out a second mortgage have had to trim our sails to the wind. We don't fly in the Rocky Mountains without some pretty good information on the terraine. We maintain situational awareness. We keep current and informed. And perhaps most important, if conditions get worse, we will say sod it and do a 180.

I have flown light aircraft in the USA, the UK, France, and Spain. I have flown gliders in the Cairngorns, in the Black Mountains in Wales, and in the Alps. We do wear parachutes in the glider; that's because we fly very close indeed to other gliders and to the rock face. And we don't worry about engine trouble...havn't got one!

As for the typical Cirrus pilot, you mention "businesmen, accountants, doctors and softwear designers who fly 125 hours a year"

I would be very surprised if the busy professionals listed above actually manage to accumulate that many hours....

Seems to me that the life saving Cirrus rocket launched parachute is lulling these wealthy busy people into the illusion that money can buy safety. Doesn't help if you fly into crap weather beyond your ability, or hit another aircraft because you didn't keep a good lookout, or flew when you were tired or hungover or mad at your wife. Engine failure is the only problem that the Cirrus chute can cure, and for that you have to be at the required altitude.

We had a gormless pilot in a tree not far from Banbury who pulled his cirrus chute when he got preoccupied punching in data in his computer to
perform a 180 turn because the weather was getting worse! and he found himself in a very unusual attitude. Probably tired, in a hurry to get home.
He spent quite a while in the tree before the locals helped him down.