PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2014, 21:02
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shorttripper

Your life, your choice.

Unfortunately, the assertions you make run counter to the established facts.
Yes it is my life and so far my real facts are these ... As I said I've had three engine failures and three perfectly successful forced landings resulting in no loss of live or damage to the aircraft. Two would have been inappropriate for a BRS deployment so having a chute would have made no difference unless I was stupid enough to have assumed otherwise. The other was well within the remit of a deployment but IMHO of no real drama. I was at around 2000' and it was August in the UK with loads of big recently combined wheat fields below. I'd have happily force landed any light aircraft in one and can't believe any half decent pilot would do otherwise???

If I'd been flying at night, in IMC, over a mountain range or similar, then YES YES YES!!! ... I'm no luddite! I'd pull the bloody handle! I can see the benefits of fluttering down under a parachute as the chances of survival are much better (though not guaranteed whatever the statistics say!). However, over open fields at height with a perfectly serviceable engineless light aircraft? .... I'll trust my own proven statistics thankyou very much!

SS