PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2014, 20:06
Lordflasheart

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Hi Lonewolf

Can someone explain to me, succinctly, what it is about the RAF variant of Rivet Joint that is expected to not be airworthy?
I have seen a couple of specific issues mentioned, but without serious provenance.

If I've got this right, it's seems it's the UK Airworthiness process itself that's not particularly Airworthy. With very bad history over 30 odd years, the current setup has yet to prove itself. They stated publicly about two years ago (but without mentioning specifics) that RJ will not comply with current or previous UK regulations ! What they've been doing since then, heaven only knows. Polishing the administrative/political fudge probably, while the only delivered example apparently sits outside in the rain, when it should be in a nice warm hangar with all the experts getting to know every nut and bolt.

OTH in respect of "Known Unknowns" I wonder whether last year's Shell 77 accident and the current Boeing top down (or bottom up) review of all the tail-end smart stuff which might have contributed, might be something that would present a more practical problem for the UK authorities, until the review is complete in a year or so - precisely because the UK won't be able to anticipate or fudge the results of the review. Also, I have no idea whether UK Dutch Roll indoctrination/ simulator/ flight training for E-3 Sentry and RJ, has any of the shortcomings mentioned in the Shell 77 accident report.

LFH