PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2014, 17:59
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:

I can't believe the fatalism displayed by a lot of the contributors of this thread! How can anyone assume and engine failure and force landing is a crash! (No wonder the tabloids revel in it!).

In some aircraft, it almost certainly is. Around 50% of off-airport landings in a Long-EZ result in a fatality. For a Piper Cub, you're literally orders of magnitude more likely to walk away. From your moniker I assume you're more likely to be flying something with a low wing loading.
Yes I totally understand your point and I certainly wouldn't fancy a forced landing in a typical homebuilt canard with their spindly little undercarriages. (In fact I'd probably elect to land wheels up in their case?) And yes, I do mostly fly low wing loaded aircraft, but not exclusively. However, I don't believe any pilot should consider a forced landing as a crash waiting to happen though, and I don't believe it is! Without thinking too hard I know of two forced landings in airliners where the pilots didn't think that way and pulled off perfect forced landings with no fatalities. Are Cirrus's harder to force land than airliners???

SS

SS