PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meatbombers & ex Jumper Dumpers. Help..
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2014, 15:14
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if going down the 182/206 time on type route, don't do whole 10hrs AND THEN the JPA course. Do 7 and the last 3 would be part of the JPA course with one of the big Aussie companies. Makes more sense. So long your previous and the JPA course flight hours add up to 10hrs total.

OTOH, if you loaded up the aircraft, haven't you hitched some loggable mx/ferry rides? If you knew you want to drop divers, why not have done part of your trianing in Cardinal or larger? That's what Skydive the Beach guy told me when enquiring. Cardinal or larger SEL/SEPL Cessna would do. I'd fancy it too, but got my helicopter stuff/career to work on right now, but already done some complex 182RG hours in USA so that I don't have all aeroplane commercial etc ratings/licenses done in Skyhawk/similar/smaller and only then having to cough up for extra bigger Cessna time.

I asked the SDB guy about 'similar in weight/complexity/performance' for the JPA but about which Piper would qualify, ie Cherokee 6, Lance or Comanche, even Mooney, with bigger engine, but haven't heard 'back'. Only the initial sales pitch to fill the course and have pool of standby hour hungry pilots to pick from. I'm told C172XP or with 210hp engine would not qualify, btw, so it's supposed to be complexity/weight similarity, not just power.

My dream skydiving job would be in Porter, but less and less around, especially outside Europe. Most DZs in US changed to Caravans or Super Caravans for mx and insurance and load reasons.

I know it may be bit late for season in NT/FNQ or North of WA, but temp/season job there would get you some 182 time without paying rental/dual instruction at hefty price tag. Something to consider if you have the time but not the funds or willingness to burn more cash.