PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2014, 14:04
sandiego89

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Italy To Cut F-35 Order By Half: Reports 23 Apr 2014 Source : Our Bureau

Italy To Cut F-35 Order By Half: Reports

Quote:
"Italy’s new government has decided to halve its procurement F-35 fighters, from 90 to 45, but will stretch out its implementation to limit any losses of related work for its aerospace industry, the Rome daily La Repubblica reported April 22...."
Does anyone know how Italy will split this between the "A" and the "B"? With only 45 in the fleet, it seems like the pooled option between the Air Force and Navy as debated a few years back would be the best option. I recall the Airforce was going to have a small number of "B's" (@15?). Seems just one squadron of B's (say 12-15) would be risky in the long run if you want this to be your sole carrier capable aircraft for the next 25+ years. I recall the Italian Navy was pushing hard for a minimum of @22 B's to keep one squadron fully deployable aboard the carrier. With 45 aircraft split between the A and B they will likely only have one frontline squadron of each type, with a suitable amount left for training (a few in the USA), evaluation and as attrition reserve. Perhaps all 45 as "B's" might be best? I realize this would be a compromise.

Last edited by sandiego89; 30th Apr 2014 at 14:15.