PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 16 Spitfire Formation Awesome Sound !!!
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2014, 12:20
603DX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Listening carefully to the video soundtrack, the PA announcement said quite clearly, "Welcome to Flying Legends, 2010", which probably settles the matter!

However, dates aside, I agree that the sound of a collection of Spitfires is indeed "awesome". I happen to be old enough to remember vividly the glorious clattering of those magnificent Rolls Royce engines ripping through the Kent skies in the last couple of years of WW2. I was living in Maidstone with my mother, father being away in N Africa and Italy serving in the army, and our house was frequently overflown by Spitfires from Biggin Hill, West Malling, Detling, Hawkinge and advanced landing grounds all over the county, often at low level and chasing V1 flying bombs or Luftwaffe aircraft. Mother got used to my eager rushing into the garden whenever that unmistakable roar of high speed Spitfires came above us, which I now realise was the sound of our freedom being won.

So I experience rather more than just the enthusiasm of an aeroplane fan on each and every occasion that Mitchell's inspired creations fly nearby, I actually have an emotional apotheosis triggered by those very early events. It makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and my eyes tend to mist over ...