PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Info for those (low-timers) seeking a job in Namibia
Old 30th Apr 2014, 08:45
CAPSLOCK.1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I just joined this forum because the misinformation being supplied in the replies annoyed me. I'm sitting at a lodge, bored, so I thought I would reply and try and clarify things.

Firstly, I have been in Namibia now since 2011. Got a job here with 200 hours (roughly).

It is very hard these days to get work permits/visas with less than 500 hours TT. I waited months for mine to come through. There was a guy in Swakop recently who got hired, did training, test flight with DFE and everything and the DCA refused to issue him a validation. That being said, I know of two other pilots that were issued with work permits and full licences almost immediately. (One with low hours.)

James331 said that nobody is hiring here. To those reading this thread take that with a pinch of salt. There is constant movement here. I know of at least 6 guys who have started in the last 2 months. People are always leaving, moving on up, getting fired, need to be replaced.

It is all about being in the right place at the right time. Coming here is a gamble.

Being fluent in German is an advantage, especially in Swakop. The operators have to hire Namibian candidates first, after that they can begin to look at foreigners. If you want to get a job here with 200 hours as a foreigner, your CV has to be spectacular in other regards, and you have to immediately come across as the right candidate. Inquiring about work using text speech is not the correct approach.

Even if you are in the right place at the right time and you come across as a d*ck, you won't get hired.

Unlike Botswana, the operators here won't expect you to hang around and constantly visit them. On the contrary, they will get very annoyed with you.

Visit, drop off your CV, (Phone ahead of time to find out when will be good), then visit Botswana and check things out there.

PM me if you have questions.