PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Black Air NZ 787-9 unveiled
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2014, 03:25
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Nitpicker, I've been checking out the new 787s after they come out of the paint hangar, and none have had the windshield wipers installed. Presumably they get installed post painting but pre-flight, as I can clearly see them on 787s parked on the flight line (and the flight line aircraft are easily 10 times further away from my vantage point).

Falling Leaf - as I was leaving work today there was a Jetstar 787 that had just come out of the paint hangar. I was startled at how mottled and splotchy the paint job looked - almost like it wasn't finished. I don't understand it - generally the airplanes coming out of the paint hangar look fantastic.
The 787 fuselage and wings are showing up with a white coating (unsure if it's paint or something more along the line of the plastic like green protective coating that the aluminum fuselage sections of the 747 and 777 have). I'm told that the composite materials don't like direct exposure to sunlight - hence the white coating. That Jetstar 787 looked like perhaps they'd retained some of that white coating to save weight and/or cost