PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reducing thrust in cruise for overspeed
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2014, 22:22
john_tullamarine

Received 106 Likes on 69 Posts
I've never had the clacker in my thus far relatively short professional career.

One presumes your operation descends with a margin to the barber pole. No problem there. I'm a bit dated but we routinely had minor clacker exceedances (I'm talking 5-10kt rather than a significant exceedance).

Any activation of the clacker is mandatory techlog entry, a call to maintenance and hopefully a deferred defect and authorization to continue.

With the greater emphasis on DFDR/QAR exceedance monitoring, that makes good sense as it indicates attention on the flight deck and adherence to SOP. I would be extremely surprised if the base response was other than to continue.

some airlines treat an exceedence whether it is over landing weight by 1 pound or over VMO by 1 knot as almost the end of the world.

That, of course, is both true and most unfortunate. Unless those monitoring exceedances have a suitable engineering/certification background, there needs to be plenty of guidance from the totem pole folk as to what is, and what is not, terribly important in the overall scheme of things.

As a pilot who can expect to be demoted or severely admonished, it becomes a big deal.

Absolutely correct .. we all have our crosses to bear unfortunately

The main value of this thread is to get the acceleration deterioration at height message across to the general heavy aircraft pilot population ...