PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should we laugh or cry? Government pays Microsoft £5.5m to extend Windows XP support
Old 29th Apr 2014, 19:37
Momoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XP end of support

First and foremost, XP was (and is) the stable platform that most MS users were waiting for.

It was hugely successful and popular with all users at all levels, however MS was never going to provide support for ever, it's not their MO.

I still use XP basically because I spent a good part of my life supporting it and it does what I want, I'm not interested in the social 'Meeja'/Web front end of Win8 and Win7 would have required new hardware for no appreciable gain.
I understand there are some risks by continuing with XP but I'm not unduly concerned, it's like having an old car which is running well - why upgrade when it ain't broke?

I'm also typing this on a IBM Z60m, at least 10 years old, upgraded to SSD and more than adequate for browsing and still faster than some new machines.

I don't like changing because I have to, simply because someone draws a line in the sand, and I suspect I'm not alone.