PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2014, 17:53
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Tourist, the point about the baggers HISLs is that they were not fitted IAW the Regulations (see engines post above about not following them) they were simply swapped for the anti-collision lights, without testing per the mandatory procedures. That automatically made the fit, and hence the aircraft, unairworthy. Surprise, surprise the forward ones were then found to cause excess glare under the conditions you describe and it became customary to switch them off. I am not saying whether that caused the mid-air between the i/b-o/b changeover, which seems to have been a classic Swiss Cheese affair anyway. Indeed the BoI carried out specific trials that discounted the HISLs as a possible cause.

What I do say is that it was an airworthiness related accident along with all the others listed. That is all we can say about them all, for they were all both regulated and investigated by the operator, ie the MOD and its subsidiary Services. That is the root problem here, if the regulation and the investigation were independent of the MOD and each other we would then know if the first had provided for an airworthy aircraft (it hadn't) and the second had revealed that (it didn't). We can all huff and puff about wriggle room and Service pride as much as we like. Quite frankly aviation doesn't give a damn and will kill given half a chance. Give it an unairworthy aircraft and its chances of doing so are then greatly increased.