PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2014, 15:43
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CGB and others,

I think that the point Tuc (and I) are making is that it's not the regulations, and it's not the 'processes'. They aren't great, but they are sufficient for the job of producing safe and airworthy combat aircraft.

The main problem is that the regulations and processes just aren't being followed. And not 'down in the weeds' (type of leather on seats), but right at the core of the system. Configuration control, management of modifications, maintaining proper records of decisions, requirements management, effective project management - you name it, I can guarantee that there are areas of the MoD that no longer even know how to carry out these basic tasks properly.

Why? Lots of reasons, in my view mainly dilution of technical expertise and over-reliance on project management as a substitute, coupled with an obsession at senior level with meeting schedules, not requirements.

Way forward? Rebuild a bit at a time. Give just one PT a chance to rebuild around a strong technical core with hand picked managers, watch them excel and then apply the lessons across the piece. Utopia, i know....

Best Regards

Engines