PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna TC210M Turbo waste gate: how does it work?
Old 29th Apr 2014, 12:06
nico87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cessna TC210M Turbo waste gate: how does it work?

Hello all,

This is my first post on PPRuNE.
I'm a PPL pilot and I would like to ask some information about the Cessna 210 Turbo handling.
Reading the documentation I've found over the Internet, I understood that the waste gate of the Continental TSIO-520 is completely automatic and it keeps the MAP constant while the aircraft is climbing. Is this true? To me, it looks strange that the pilot doesn't need to adjust the throttle to keep the MAP costant during climb/descent.
Unfortunately, I cannot check this by myself because there isn't a TC210 around the area I live in.

I report part of the documentation I've found about the TSIO-520 turbocharger's wastegate that keeps me thinking about a "constant MAP" behavior:

The variable pressure controller links the throttle to the wastegate actuator through a cam, spring and aneroid arrangement. When the throttle is opened, the cam on the controller rotates to compress the spring. This action closes a valve within the controller allowing oil pressure in the wastegate actuator to increase, which drives the wastegate toward the closed position.
This action causes more exhaust gas to flow through the turbine assembly, increasing its speed and resulting in more output of induction air from the compressor, since it is connected to the opposite end of the turbine shaft. Now. as the compressor output increases, manifold pressure increases. The aneroid unit on the controller senses compressor discharge pressure and its action opposes the force of the spring, that is, it tends to open the valve, believing oil pressure in the waste-gate actuator which allows the wastegate to move toward open.
In operation, the forces between the spring and the aneriod are balanced and the controller serves to maintain constant compressor discharge pressure as selected by the throttle and therefore main-tains a constant manifold pressure. When the throttle is reposi-tioned the cam, spring, aneriod and wastegate are displaced until the forces are again in balance for the new compressor discharge pressure.
Thanks to everyone who can shed light on this!