PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight International "Pilots must go back to basics>"
Old 29th Apr 2014, 04:53
roulishollandais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DozyWanabee in another thread
Same with other threads - I recently read a post claiming that FBW was primarily intended to replace the flight engineer with technology, when in fact there were several jetliners from the '60s onwards that were well pre-FBW, yet deleted the FE station from the flight deck
I know there's a romantic attachment to the days of yore, and that's not just true of piloting - but I suspect that
I did not say that FBW was "intended" to "delete" (!) the Flight Engineer from the flight deck, but a wrong analysis has been done by some megalomaniac political activists, puting Airbus (B the son) against Airbus (H the father), seeing - without enough correct analysis of the fourth function - in increasing possibility of digitalised systems, the unhoped occasion to destroy the supremacy of flying crews organised in Unions - supposed to be dangerous "CGT communists" or "WWII terrorists" -. The other son (M) suffered the longest SNPL strike of pilots on planes without FE ! That is just history of our professions. For grounded system engineers it was an unhoped promotion : they were ignorant of the four cockpit functions.

The dutch roll is a significative exemple : it was taught in the former time, "romantic [attachment to the ] days of yore "- ie. "Hands off" on DC8 - and the bad analysis of the cockpit oganisation with that FBW forgot it. But facts have the last word. Dutch roll still existed ; automatic SOPs were introduced (A/P off, Y/D off, and then ?????) bad trained, bad known, bad teams, etc. : Read the KC-135 report... until in flight destruction of the plane.
Nobody did see that the "M" was missing after "A.N.C."
AA587 is another exemple of that lost M inside the cockpit and lost Basics.

Last edited by roulishollandais; 29th Apr 2014 at 04:57. Reason: spelling