PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reducing thrust in cruise for overspeed
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2014, 02:49
Mozella

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone seen similar(or better or worse) performance on other engine types?
Here's one data point (sort of). It's been a LONG time, so don't hold me to the exact numbers. I was qualified to do squadron level test flights on the U.S. Navy F-8 Crusader powered by a single P&W J-57, a conventional (non fan) turbojet engine with afterburner (reheat). These tests were done after major, squadron-level maintenance, like an engine change.

One test involved pulling the power back to idle at something like 40 thousand feet. We recorded the stable idle rpm and then set full military thrust; i.e. full power without afterburner. We timed how long it took to reach 100% and if I remember correctly the time was usually around 35 seconds or so. And the J-57 had a reputation for pretty good throttle response.

Based on that, I would guess the time for a high bypass fan engine to go from idle to high power at high altitude would be much longer than many pilots would imagine. I flew the 767 and I was always aware of the relatively long spool up time of those engines; however, I don't recall ever letting them stabilize at flight idle at high altitude and subsequently call for high power settings. But even so, thirty seconds or more doesn't sound unusual to me.