PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFSD at takeoff (turbo-prop)
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2014, 02:19
MarkJJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are normally systems working to prevent this on most turbo props, bleed air is taken away to ensure smooth airflow through the various stages of compression. Auto feather or auto coarse is with reduced torque as stated.

There is a system called a compressor bleed value on the PT 6-67s, it takes away excess compressed air at low N1 and reduces the back pressure on the axial stages thus reducing the likely hood of a compressor stall.

In the event of a compressor stall on turbo props, I've not heard of any, though I believe the remedy is the same as with a fan. Reduce power to idle and then reapply.

Yes you will increase drag for a time, and there will need to be a quick trade off in terms of what your are doing with your energy at that point. But the smooth airflow should return fairly smartly, hopefully with no damage to your motors.

Really to shut down the engine would not be 1st course of action, especially just after V1 unless there is a fire or the compressor stall has caused bits to start flying out of the engine. Indications of a compress stall in the cockpit will be a reduced N1 and rise in ITT which is not a cause for a shut down immediately I'd say. Perhaps later on, but try the remedy first, why not read what your PFM or AFM states.

Last edited by MarkJJ; 29th Apr 2014 at 02:31.