PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is integrated training necessary for airline employment?
Old 28th Apr 2014, 22:38
Wodka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Essentially - two options as others have outlined too.

1) Integrated. If your going down this route, get on a tagged scheme. RHS Jet, large initial outlay, but large payoff and quicker access to LHS ultimately.

2) Modular. Cheap initially (by comparison). Takes years, not months. You may well get 'stuck' on TP's (assuming you get a job at all). A perhaps richer experience in terms of the wide range of flying and experiences you will have but boy do you pay for it in terms of long term financial health.

Using case 1 - In say 10 years you could be a Captain in a decent jet job assuming your initial Airline was a success, stable, etc.

Using case 2 - In say 10 years you might be lucky enough to be in a jet job after 3 years of instructing/GA, 2 years TP FO, 2 Years TP CP, now year 3 Jet FO at the end of a very long command upgrade list. Or you could be still stuck on a TP wondering what went wrong!

These are obviously just made up figures but I feel demonstrate that the initial type you get onto after training is vital in determining your long term career health these days.

For the record, I am in camp 2 and yes I am feeling stuck on TP's! I have been flying for 5 years professionally now and I haven't got a pot to pi$$ in... I know guys who did P2F and are now well into the command process at large low cost jet outfits, new cars, buying houses etc. Go figure!

It's a sad state of affairs. Non-flying friends can barely believe it when I tell them what I am earning! An ex-housemate recently started a TEMP job that she got by just asking a mate and her basic is higher than mine!