PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Returning to flying?
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2014, 16:49
Plastic787

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Returnofaking what you have done has been a massive act of selflessness and I take my hat off to you for doing that with all the difficulty and heartache it must have caused at times. Personally being in the industry myself, in all honesty (and if you have a job with a hedge fund lined up) I would avoid it at all costs.

The odds are now ridiculously and perversely stacked AGAINST guys with experience. It seems that instead of wanting competent people with thousands of hours in the logbook they (airlines) would far prefer to take some guy with 20 hours on a Seneca and an MCC. I've even heard rumours of Virgin starting a zero to hero scheme, if true then that's the death knell for this profession as a whole. A sickening development which is a true recipe for disaster (especially hearing some of the stories about some of the cadets' stick and rudder skills at the low costs).

The long and the short of it is the career is becoming less and less rewarding and all movement in the industry has been all but destroyed by the big flight training schools. The industry is in a desperate state.