PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust increase when V/S is selected - Boeing
Old 28th Apr 2014, 10:08
stilton

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Not sure about that Apride but on the rare occasions I use VS in the descent, for example on a high IAS descent having just switched over from FLCHG (not using VNAV for whatever reason) approaching whatever altitude I have to slow to 250 KIAS at, but also have a crossing restriction to meet and am just barely going to meet this restriction.

The last thing I want is any additional power above idle at this point or to go above profile. It takes 3000 feet to decelerate from 340 KIAS to 250 at idle with no speed brake in a B757 for example in FLCHG so I will disconnect the autothrottles to avoid them being 'bumped up' in VS, make sure they are at idle then cancel the warning but remain in VS slowly reducing it while decelerating to 250kts, then increasing VS to hold this speed until stable in the descent then reselecting FLCHG.

A bit long winded and belabouring the obvious perhaps but I do make sure to tell the FO what I am doing.