PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - hot wheels vs brake fire
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2014, 06:53
gulfairs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hot wheels vs brake fire

Back in 1985, in a 747-219 I was faced with an abort at V! -10 due to a CADC failure.
I aborted . and stopped on the runway.

The Flight engineer commented that although the brakes were hot and I would need some 25 to 30 minutes air cooling, i had enough energy to backtrack and commence an immediate take off.
I raised the question:"What do I do withe undercarriage if we have an engine failure during the next attempt?".
The answer was: "Retract the gear of course."
I elected to return to the ramp and take a 2 hour delay to cool the brakes.
For this decision I was severely caned. With notes against my record,endorsed because the flight engineer had advised me that it was safe But the chances of a secondary failure were low and so on
The disciplinary actions were so severe that I had little choice except to resign which is what I did. There were other mitigating circumstances that were not significant at the time so I ended a career with the antipodean airline at the ripe age of 50.
Which now I don't regret, but at the time it was a bitter pill to swallow.
The aircraft run late for two sectors and was back on time after a 2 and a bit hour turn around in ASSY.
My all time moto . If you are late slow down and take your time. A rush usually ends up in tears or in flames.