PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of rotorcraft?
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2003, 04:18
Dave_Jackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick,

Your points are well taken, but may be subject to a little fine-tuning.

Power Loss:

Dual rotor helicopters and 'single' rotor helicopters have two rotors each. In fact, the Chinook CH-47 has a similar load path to that of helicopters with tail rotors. The primary difference is a 50-50 power split between the rotors versus a 90-10 power split. In both cases, the total power train losses will be around 4-6%

Drag:

Aerodynamists say that drag increases as the rotor-hub is brought closer to the fuselage, due to the interaction between the two. It is also said that if the hub is brought very close to the fuselage, and the two are faired together, the drag will actually decrease.

As rotor rigidity has increased, the rotor-hubs have been brought closer to the fuselage. One of the theoretical advantages of the Absolutely Rigid Rotor is the ability to locate the rotor tight to the fuselage, and then fair them together.

Engineering

We have a difference, in that you are promoting existing products whereas I am promoting the research and development of new ones. Please don't underestimate the importance of overall conceptualization.

Conceptualization is normally done by those who know a little about many subjects. Detail engineering is done by those who know a lot about few subjects. In my company, I hired engineers to do the detail work.

Last edited by Dave_Jackson; 28th Apr 2003 at 05:55.