PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Cook
Thread: Thomas Cook
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2014, 23:53
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JonnyH - You are wholly mistaken. Manchester to New York is currently served just twice daily with both rotations operated by low-capacity B752 equipment … there is far from "just too much competition". Capacity is extremely tight on the route and fares are correspondingly high (which is no doubt fine by AAL / UAL). The fact is that MAN-NYC routes have successfully supported far more capacity in the past than is currently available, and there can be little doubt that latent demand remains. Note that TCX are expected to interline with FlyBe to feed the long-haul programme from MAN, so success will not be dependent on the immediate region alone. Having said that, 14 x B752 per week plus 3 x B763 (or A332?) gives a capacity total well within historic norms for MAN-NYC. Afew punters will choose to route via LHR as you suggest (frequent flyer incentives?)… all I can say to that is they're very welcome! Give me non-stop from MAN every time.

With reference to your assertion that "you can get more for cheaper with other carriers" … well, the jury is out on that one. Be assured that the silly 'think-of-a-number' fares which appear alongside the Thomas Cook flights at the moment do not reflect the actual pricing which will apply once the full programme of tariffs is uploaded into the system. Long haul services from MAN are frequently cited as lacking premium first / business demand with the region noted instead for sourcing large volumes of leisure-orientated economy class travellers. Well, that just happens to be Thomas Cook's market niche … they will be fine. There is no shortage of demand for New York city breaks from North West England. And I do anticipate that much of the TCX capacity from MAN-JFK/MIA will in any case be sold as part of a package deal which reduces the need to attract high volumes of seat only business.

Don't worry. TCX have thought this one through.