PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2014, 20:19
Propduffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hyperveloce
To me, both BFO inflexions at 1:07 and 2:25 are indicative of a turn (I don't see another phenomenon to explain such a rapid variation of the BFO), the 1st is when the plane diverted from the KL->Beijing route to turn back to Malaisia, the 2nd is the large turn toward the south.
I agreed with you wholeheartedly at first, but other posters here have pointed out (in deleted posts) that FR24 data as well as the probable location of the aircraft at 1:07 make this premise unsupportable. It would probably have still been northbound over the Malaysian penninsula at 1:07. Bloomberg News informed us that the last ACARS transmission at 1:07 included a position report: The engineers at Inmarsat were able to validate their estimates of the plane’s location by matching its position at 1:07 a.m., when it sent a burst of data through its Aircraft Communications and Reporting System, McLaughlin said. That final transmission on Acars included a GPS position that was used to calibrate the other estimates, he said. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-21/missing-plane-flew-steady-speed-over-ocean-inmarsat-estimates.html - but we don't know what that position was. (Thank DocRohan for posting that link here)

Last edited by Propduffer; 27th Apr 2014 at 23:49.