PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2014, 14:46
harrym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Training in Canada

Danny, to reply to your points:

Syllabus: AFAIK it was the standard RAF one, as taught at both my EFTS and SFTS by exclusively 100% RAF instructors - though whether this was also the case at other RAF schools I cannot say.

Failure: In my experience the scrub rate was fairly low, although unable to quote figures as I can't recall either the size of our course(s) or the ratio of scrubees.

Pay: Bog-standard RAF, which was I think 7/6 per day at the LAC rate paid to cadets. This did not go very far, even at the favourable exchange rate of about C$4.50 to the £.

Personnel: In my experience students were 100% Brit, and no Arnold rejects.

Standards: I don't remember any comparisons being made as between Canadian & US trained pilots, although later I did hear some similar chat as to Canadian v S African products - but it amounted to no more than 'pub talk'.

Next Instalment: Point taken, so a little time will elapse before the SFTS scribble appears; in the meantime however, for Union Jack's benefit I will send off my account of the trans-Canadian rail trip (OK, only 2/3rd 'trans' as we didn't even get as far as the Rockies!)