PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Pilots refuse to operate flights due to SARS
Old 27th Apr 2003, 23:05
rsoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mutt
Am I missing something here! On one hand I hear of atleast one airline in an affcted country being faced with a situation that passengers are not willing to fly into/through the country and hence may even result in temporary closure of the airline.

On the otherhand you have an airline where the pilots are forcing the airline into the red although you have passengers!

I will agree with your view as well as Tibas that "This discussion was about the pilots right to protect themselves, a right which you obviously disagree " if you can come up with facts which prove that other airlines are providing their piolts with "protective measures" against SARS which Air India is apparently failing its own pilots to do?

Also as asked before by me and Jagbag, why is it that another government owned airline with an equally strong union flying to many of the SARs affected areas (as the IPG claims) like SIN and BKK, Indian Airlines are not bothered?

Also even more interesting, Air India does not even fly into two of the three countries with the largest numbers of SARS deaths, China and Canada. Hong Kong , yes, but you might be interested to note that Air India was operating the HKG flights for a few days before this "increased SARS awareness camapign" with management pilots anyway.

Interesting that while on one hand people speak about "hard times in the industry with passengers keeing away from flying" there are some others whose aim seems to be to bring their employers as well as themselves to the path of self destruction!