PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Elevated liver enzymes
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2014, 03:10
DrakeSkyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elevated liver enzymes

So back in January, I did my initial class 1 medical, and my ALT and AST were up the roof. ALT was around 210, the upper limit is 40. I later realised that it was due to me taking what I thought were supplements, but were in fact a prescription drug. I stopped taking them and my levels have been coming down dramatically. My test results last month showed my ALT was 44, only 4 out of the limit, and my AST was entirely within.

However, I did what I hoped would be my final test on Monday, and my ALT suddenly rose to 53, and while my AST was still within limits, it went up as well. This got me pretty worried. In the past 3 weeks between the 2 tests, I cannot think of anything I did to make it go up. I'm only 19, never drink or smoke, no drugs of any kind other than the ones that got me to this situation. I do regular exercise and eat at home whenever possible. The only thing is that I have eczema, which got pretty bad in the past few weeks, and I stopped exercising for 1 week when I had some family visitors.

My question is, can there be any reason for my levels to not only stop going down, but suddenly come up? Could my eczema or my 1 week's lack of exercise have something to do with it? I'm very worried because I'm only 19 and I haven't even started my career, yet this could potentially erase my chances at becoming a pilot. Any help would be deeply appreciated.