PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When To Arm The Automation When Shooting an ILS
Old 25th Apr 2014, 09:37
Garfs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When To Arm The Automation When Shooting an ILS

When flying an ILS, I have always been taught (and practise this too) to arm the Automation for the ILS, (FND in an EC225 & believe its called different things in different machines) as soon as I am established on the localiser and clear for the approach. Then I just monitor and do whatever else I need to do

However someone I was speaking to who just came back from a 139 Initial told me he was specifically told to arm the FND (or 139 Equivalent) at the exact moment he intercepts the Glideslope, and not a second before. Surely if you got distracted for whatever reason you would then find yourself above the glideslope?

I personally feel better arming it before intercepting for various reasons, as long as Im established and cleared by ATC.

However I am wondering if the practice mentioned above is something specific to 139's or if anyone else does this? I'm not saying the method I use is the only method and the best etc, but just more curious for reasons why some are taught to arm only at the exact moment of intercepting the glideslope, for my own knowledge and all.

Thanks in advance