PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of AOPA ??
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2014, 01:07
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you know how much effort that AOPA (in both Australia and NZ) are putting into getting WAAS implemented here? As GA pilots we need to get behind that initiative!
Now more than ever its important that we have a body pushing the cause of general aviation. CASA are on the eve of imposing ridiculous new imposts on GA that are unique in the world. The Australian government really only listens to peak bodies. We need an active, engaged body representing pilots - and in particular pilots flying IFR and using their aircraft as a business tool. There are many bodies supporting the interests of recreational pilots - RA(Aus), SAAA, Antique Aircraft Association, Australian Aerobatic Club, RFAC, etc.

But, who are the people speaking best on what is going on? The single best piece I've read in years has come from Jeff Boyd when he was president of the Regional Aviation Association.

A Bridge Too Far | Pro Aviation

The most succinct piece I have read on the troubles affecting general aviation has come from an airline association!!

I first joined AOPA in the late seventies, but like Bevan, dropped out in the era of the political in-fighting. Sometime later I re-joined, but again dropped out during the phase when they mistakenly thought they could achieve more by being friends with CASA.

Recently, I have been through the website and read the current magazine and I just can't figure out what they stand for.

I think its pretty easy to figure out the hot topics. All you need to do is look through pprune. They are all here. If I had any confidence at all that the AOPA was stridently representing a view on these topics, I'd join again.

The latest copy of the magazine trumpets some minor progress towards GP issued medicals. Big deal! If we don't do something about ADS-B for IFR, the new licensing regs, the new maintenance regs, it will all be academic. We won't have pilots who need medicals.

My last comment can be seen as parochial, but frankly, I can't see how you can hope to have any understanding of GA based in Bankstown. It might be the least active , least progressive GA airport in the country, not to mention probably the hardest to get to for visiting interstate members.

By my count (and using Google), 5 out of 9 directors are NSW based. Seriously??