PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New approach format
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2014, 21:28
clunckdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JO, at my home base the IFR apch is 90 degrees to the runway, followed by a left or right circling but staying away from the high ground on the other side {North side} of the runway, if one does not get down a bit early then the decision has to be made about one quarter of a mile back from the runway,{ however still at 90 degrees to the runway} this really doesn't give much room to turn at our 140 kts min speed or have a look for the resident deer population, many visiting aircraft have missed due to this, for myself I also like to see if the lights are really working, if not it gives us a bit of time to try them again. For those not flying into places like this, you might be surprised at the poor condition of the aids at many of our remote strips, lack of federal funds for places which do not have scheduled air service seems to be the culprit.A while back the calibration aircraft had to go around when they didn't get down fast enough, in this case flying a fixed descent rate to the FAF is not improving safety, as it may do on a straight in apch.