PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON CITY - 2
Thread: LONDON CITY - 2
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2014, 21:19
WHBM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
LCY seems to be getting a whole lot busy very quickly.
I don't find this for movements; need to check the stats but runway movements seem down from a few years ago. I will agree that exec jets at the Jet Centre seem to be picking up again, having somehow been driven down to a very low level (the PPRuNe biz-jet pages contained some very disparaging posts in the recent past).

Airports like LHR or LGW have good outbound catchment areas. LCY less so.
I'm often surprised when I chat to my fellow seatmates what a distance they have travelled to get to the airport. Cambridge, Maidstone and Enfield are just a few I recall. This is nothing, however, compared to those who are transiting onward to LHR. You have to wonder what imbecile travel agent would organise a business traveller, in suit, onto AMS-LCY-LHR-somewhere in the USA. The two sectors weren't even on the same carrier. And it wasn't an isolated incident, I'd seen it previously as well, and a cab driver told me that LCY to LHR is by no means unknown.

By and large, it requires quite a bit of yield sacrifice for airlines to fill their morning departures from LCY.

Strangely, for the summer Mediterranean departures to Palma and Ibiza etc, 0700 departures on Friday are notably popular.

Hubs ...... Alitalia fly to Rome
AZ also do Milan Linate, which if you are heading anywhere else in Italy generally offers even better connections.