PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Cylinder AD's released by FAA
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2014, 21:17
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone remember this thread a few years ago....I collected the data....the cooldown rate was impressive for its lack of anything.

http://www.pprune.org/pacific-genera...th-busted.html

Here is a little story I thought I would share with you.

One of the great Old Wives Tales, Shock Cooling!

Well I am not sure how easy it would be to do this, apart from spear into a lake, that would do it for sure, but even in an extreme descent with 2000FPM plus ROD I can't seem to do it.

So here is the story, last Saturday returning from St George Qld to Caboolture (Brisbane) I climbed to FL130 and was enjoying 45 knots on the tail, so a GS of 210 knots. As I was about 20 minutes out, I advised BNE CEN that my TOD point was 46 miles from YCAB and that was 13 minutes, to allow for a 12000' descent to circuit area altitude. I do this so it helps them with all the crossing traffic I have going against the flow. My tracks are often a pain I am sure.

Anyway 13 minutes comes and goes, and I think any second now........10 minutes, hmmm I wonder if my mate is on BNE APP this afternoon. Anyway they are busy with jet traffic and RFDS etc into YBBN, so I figure I can fit in with whatever keeps everyone happy. At 6.5 minutes to run, 22NM to destination.....the following occurs;
BNE CEN: Lima November Lima, Descend 6000 and contact BNE APP on 124.7 , I do the read back and over I go to 124.7,
LNL: Brisbane Approach, Lima November Lima FL130 cleared 6000 and Visual.
BNE APP: Lima November Lima, cleared to leave on descent, Brisbane QNH 1014, good afternoon Brownie!
LNL: Cleared to leave on descent, 1014 LNL....and gooday to you NP and did you have something to do with the late descent?
BNE APP: I have NO Idea what you are talking about <laughing>
LNL: WATHCH THIS <laughing>

Now 6 minutes and 20 miles

Now not exceeding VNE (by TAS), and then as the bumpy bits over the mountains (ok hills) staying out of the yellow arc and not wanting to lose the game, I had a job to do. At times the ROD was around and over 2000 FPM, and I watched happily the CHT's very slowly decline. The Throttle was pulled right back and the RPM about half way down was increased to 2550 to help the cause. Pitch went from +1 in cruise to -8.5 at times and mostly -5 to -7 and this was a very different view of the Brisbane region.

So I have downloaded the data, and done a Delta T on CHT and the graph shows a flat line. The cumulative Delta T shows a greater ramp for the taxi and take off than at any point in the descent. Unfortunately the Delta T will not upload to the SAVVY site, however you can see the slope on the curves.

I have uploaded the file to the Savvy site, you can click on the extra displayed data to show Vert Speed or other things.

https://my.savvyanalysis.com/public/...1-b50788c2095a

No doubt some flat earthers will tell me that the cylinders will fall apart due cracks in a few hundred hours.

It is pretty hard to shock cool and engine that is already cool!

Shock Cooling - BUSTED!