PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The people's portrait
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2014, 18:42
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John Nichol,

Thanks for that input. I'm sure that some perspective from someone who knows the man is invaluable. I suspect that Simon Weston is like many "real" ex servicemen who still have a grasp on reality, enjoys a few bevvies and is still doing so much for serving and ex injured servicemen. Beer swilling, well, who hasn't been there ? Anyway, as a personal friend of the man, perhaps you could assure him that our petition is no attempt to glorify him as some sort of Saint. It's more to do with recognising what is valuable and important to our nation in these days when even a win on "strictly come dancing" might elicit a gong from a "vote grasping" political party. Its time that the people decided who was honoured, not a politician with ulterior motives. As for the beer swilling, if he is ever near a pub I'm in, I would gladly fund a couple, for the honour. Thanks again for your post, I hope my response makes sense.

Smudge

PS, if you are the John Nichol, Tonka Nav, we have actually met, in the back of a Herk many years ago.