PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2014, 17:25
Danny42C

Round and Round you Go.

Fareastdriver,

Thank you for crossing the "T"s on my last part of the spinning story (I'd missed off the Vampire, hadn't I ?) Neither on 20 Sqdn. at Valley, or on a borrowed aircraft from 608 at Thornaby, had I tried to spin a Vampire (IIIs and Vs, never saw a T11). Nor had anyone else to my knowledge.

I was just about to go to that priceless mine of information, the "Jever Steam Laundry", to check on permissability, then you come up with the answer (brings to mind the Cholaveram blackboard - "Vengeance:/No aerobatics/No violent Dives/ NO VENGEANCE" [they'd written off the only one the AGS had]).

The Vampire didn't look to have all that much fin/rudder (and the booms none too strong !): I'm not surprised they didn't allow intentional spins.

I think we were only allowed it dual in the MeteorT7 in my time, too. As I recall, the problem was not the actual spin (you had to hold it in tight, or it would slip out into a spiral dive), but in the flick-roll needed to get it in at the start. For about two or three seconds you knew exactly how your socks felt in the washing macine at max rpm !

Happy days, Danny.

PS: Did you ever hear of a Goblin flaming-out for any reason other than no fuel ? D.

Last edited by Danny42C; 24th Apr 2014 at 17:28. Reason: Spacing