PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2014, 11:48
Chugalug2

Received 234 Likes on 72 Posts
RP
I'm not quite sure why any of the aircraft that have operated successfully in those relatively benign environments would be any less successful in a more hostile operation??
I'm sure that much the same was thought by the heroic crews of the Battles and Blenheims pre '39. As I said, it is only my honest opinion and I pray that I be proved wrong were that day ever to come. My fear though is that the RAF would be then revealed to be what I now suspect, thoroughly riddled with unairworthiness. Who would have thought that an Emergency Escape System of all things could turn out to be unairworthy!

My list of Fatal Airworthiness Related Accidents in which 63 died had enemy presence in only one instance. Talk about doing their work for them! I'm afraid that the flat earthers will only be proved wrong after the event. At least in the last big bit unpleasantness we had time to introduce self sealing tanks, armoured windscreens, armour plating behind pilots, etc, in the light of bitter experience. Next time it will be decided 'as is' I suspect. The MAA do not even know what the 'as is' is though. Time to get UK Military Airworthiness sorted, not forever sabotaged!