PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2014, 10:29
naturals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I'm online I figured it might be worth jotting down a few observations, tips, words of wisdom and general ramblings that I hope might help people next year.

1. Keep trying. I applied last year, made it well through the process but (sadly) didn't make the cut. I know why, and learnt from it. I seriously considered not applying this time round as I was left feeling absolutely crushed last year. Obviously I'm now very glad I did have a second crack. I know from experience how tough not getting in is but PLEASE don't let it get to you personally.

2. Make notes; lots of notes. More. You have no idea how invaluable it was having a list of observations from last year to help with my preparation. I'm not going to be drawn into specifics on the assessments but lots of small things caught me out last year. They didn't this year; if it weren't for the notes I'd have forgotten nearly all of it.

3. Don't be afraid of making mistakes. Everybody makes them; the worst possible thing you can do after making a mistake in an interview, group exercise, maths test, etc. is to let it impact upon your performance for the rest of the session. Don't sweat it, move on straight away. You can review it after the day has finished.

4. Practice, practice, practice. In the month up to the interviews I was spending at least an hour a day on general maths / physics / BA knowledge preparation. On top of that most days I spend an hour practicing interview Q&As with my partner. The week before the interview I upped this to 3-4 hours of prep a day. With 100%, absolute certainty, this was what helped me the most. Never ever think you've prepared enough. There's always more to do.

5. Keep trying. This really is the most crucial one so it's worth re-stating. I haven't personally heard of anyone succeeding first time round (though I know a couple of Pprune members have managed it). Everyone I know who got in did it on either their second or third time applying. Many BA pilots I've spoken to took half a dozen attempts to get in. Make of this what you will.