PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2014, 09:05
SteinarN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by otech
Just for anyone looking for images of what washed up and is deemed unrelated at this stage by the ATSB:

Repeat : DEEMED NOT RELATED so don't go crazy with guessing which part of the aircraft it was from :-)

Source: Debris from missing MH370 could wash up on WA coast: expert
My first thought was that this looked very much like aircraft relatet, however, when I look closer at it it seems to be from a (refrigerated) truck or sea going container. I've worked in that industry for many years and know the design of those. What you see is a part of the outside skin of the container. The structure that is on the underside and riveted to the outside skin is the vertical stringers which help connect the outside and inside skin and/or stiffen up the side panel. The stringers would be about 1 metres apart. In addition you see some of the insulation foam, which would be polyurethane in most cases or PVC if it was to withstand significant structural loads which is usually not experienced in a simple side panel of the container. The sheet metal would be steel or aluminum, alternatively stainless steel on the inside skin, with steel it would be about 0.5mm thick on the outside skin and closer to 1mm thick on the inside skin, with aluminum it would be about 1 to 1.5mm thick. In this case it looks to be aluminum though.