PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2014, 07:47
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
I've been reading cpants' book.

What particularly impressed me is the fact the US "system" acknowledges the concept of civilian staffs being unfairly disciplined for meeting legal obligations, and provides various independent redress routes. In MoD, the system simply cannot cope with such a concept and permits offenders to judge their own case. Yes, you can pursue redress to PUS, the final arbiter (you are expected to resign if you disagree with his decision), but in practice PUS simply sends it back down to the offender to uphold his original ruling. So, PUS is seldom seen to actually issue a decision.

There is one notorious and well known exception. The victim (ex-RAF, then civvy Principal/Grade 7) appealed to the Cabinet Secretary, who over-ruled PUS and awarded an enhanced pension as compensation. However, the Cabinet Secretary is no longer Head of the Home Civil Service; that is now a separate post and the incumbent Sir Robert Kerslake has reverted to type and ruled refusal to commit fraud is an offence. In writing. Got the letter.

Also, early on, cpants hints at making recordings of interviews at which he was bullied and harassed. I was once told by a V senior RN officer, if someone lies to you, record all subsequent conversations. I have some very interesting ones, including one of the VSOs I mentioned above acknowledging I had been instructed to commit an offence, that the person issuing the order had done no wrong, whereas I was guilty as charged because I'd refused to commit fraud. MoD deny this interview took place. Which is another reason for recording it. When I asked for the minutes, the minutes secretary had been mysteriously posted. Much to her relief probably. Who'd want to work for Baker?