PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New approach format
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 16:41
surveytheworld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This new format is being rolled out across Canada (the Prairies was only the second group of CAPs to be "updated") so by this summer it'll be in place country-wide.

It seems to me that someone "high up" has a real love for these CDAs. In many recently released Canadian accident reports (going back even a 2 or 3 years) it seems that "not using a CDA" has been cited as a contributing factor numerous times.

Whether it truly was the case or not (it occasionally seemed like it was just thrown in there to help an "agenda") I can see how "they" might like to regulate it - but in some places, particularly with high surrounding terrain in the north where circling approaches are the norm, it may be impractical.

I work for a smaller operator (702, sort of like Part 91 in the US) but we are starting to train these CDAs more and more now, as part of the whole stabilized approach criteria, as well as reducing workload particularly in single pilot operations.

Last edited by surveytheworld; 24th Apr 2014 at 23:24. Reason: Reference to 100 mile safe altitude incorrect, and removed.