PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight International "Pilots must go back to basics>"
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 16:12
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it just me or have we read on here, over the past 18 months, an increase in serviceable a/c accidents. Start with such things as going off the end of the RWY in TSL Greece and then add in all the others we've discussed in many 'civilised' aviation countries. There seemed to be more crew induced prangs than broken a/c calling it a day and capitulating to Mother Nature & Gravity. Am I wrong?

Further; I heard from the head of a flight college that the idea was the future cadets for MPA CPL could be trained >75% in a sim. They would earn the basic PPL in a prop and then spend the rest of their 150hrs in a MPA sim learning MMC/CRM/AFDS/QRH etc. etc. All that good twin prop IFR, VFR Nav, aeros, circuits etc. etc. was not necessary to be an airline pilot. But, I asked, what about the MPA Turbo-prop/Biz-jet pilot who flew into tiny little airfields in all regions in all weathers? No answer. What about the charter airlines who fly big jets into some inhospitable places? No answer. What dos the guy do who wants a CPL but not an MPA? No answer. It seems the authorities have decided there is only o e sort of pilot. My 250 schools hours is already reduced to 150hrs, but at least they are airborne. What's next, a Play Station or Wii-Wii? Perhaps the ground based pilot is closer than we dread.

Last edited by RAT 5; 23rd Apr 2014 at 16:24.