PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight International "Pilots must go back to basics>"
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 16:10
clunckdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently we had a few minutes on the ground at a field in NE Ontario, now used as a destination for one of our Ontario Government owned "puppy Farm" flight schools, if our meeting with an instructor and pupil from this school are anything to go by the lack of skills and common sense is programed from the very beginning of training in this place. We heard their endless transmission as we were joining IFR for the GPS approach for the North South runway, they informed the world {and the other four fields on the same freq} that they would be doing a "full stop", well that's nice to know but "landing" would do the job according to our standard RT booklet, {I am by the way a radio examiner} but to their credit we didn't get the "currently, at this time" babble which seems to be the latest in "Yuckspeak" on the radio these days. On meeting the two crew in the FBO we were astounded to see them dressed in white shirts, slip on shoes, and a very light jacket, now for those who don't live in this part of the world they have just flown for about three hours over pretty rough bush which still has a few feet of snow on the ground, on top of their lack of suitable dress we found they are not carrying any survival gear, the chances of them surviving two nights in the bush are about zero, even less as they were both "city boys". In conversation with the student we were informed, in the most authoritative manner, that on graduation from this school they would have little need for hand flying skills as the "modern aircraft fly themselves" end quote. The other crew member of our corporate aircraft waited until I was out of ear shot and let them know in no uncertain terms that I had some time ago retired from Boeing/Airbus products and would most likely give them a new orifice if the said this again, so there it is, the blind leading the blind, a bit of topic but its typical I fear of our government sponsored schools in Canada, the nation which once taught the world to fly.