PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Very rare 50 year old Photo. Sycamore XG518 desert rescue.
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 10:24
GIGFY

Location: The sunny side at Tuncurry/Forster, NSW, Australia - 32°10'14.88"S 152°29'5.22"E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helicopter Filght, RAF Khormaksar

Thanks to you all for the reminisces of the Sycamore & Whirlwinds on the SAR Flight.

After sailing to Aden on the last trip by SS Nevasa, I was so unfortunate to do a year down at RAF Eastleigh, Kenya. Obviously, the powers that be came to my rescue and got me a cushy billet at Khormaksar on the Flight. This was 1962 and I was to stay there until 1964.

My first, ever, flight in a chopper was on XG518. That's the good news. What I wasn't prepared for was once I got Jock Aberdeen out of bed at 4:30AM, and into the chopper with a mug of coffee, he would lift off and very soon expect you to take control while he had a nap.
I soon learned the basic controls and started to enjoy the privilege of being on the Flight.

As I explained to Zetec2 (were you there, to, PH?), my memory has taken a bashing over the years but I still have flashes remembering such people as Tone Bell, Den Bryer, Barry (?) Davies (we were sent to Westlands on a Whirlwind course for a month), and yet I cannot recall the boss!

Tracking the blades were an experience using a flag pole, masking tape, crayons and a block of wood with a deep grove along its middle (recision tool: to alter the tabs).

The experienced learned here during those long months came to fruition in 1979 when I was allowed to restore XJ380 Sycamore Mk14 at RAF Finningley.
XJ380 now at Boscombe Down and in a sh**ty state:
Sycamore XJ380 - Picture of Boscombe Down Aviation Collection, Salisbury - TripAdvisor
also:
Sycamore

This was prior to me moving up to Lossie on Seakings followed by a stint ot Leconfield on Wessex.