PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying first plane
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 09:50
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you're getting some useful commentary. As I mentioned before, I also like the DR400. I first flew one not long after getting my PPL 30 years ago and it seemed to defy what I'd come to expect in terms of the trade-off between stability and agility. It remains one of my favourite aircraft and I see that there are a few on the register here in WA, where a hangar no doubt prevents spontaneous structural combustion in high summer

One additional suggestion is to do a bit of polling of people who rent out their aircraft, perhaps comparing private and flying school arrangements. You mentioned control-freak tendencies, which many of us would surely relate to. Leaving aside the potential availability issues, it's not easy to stand by and watch what some people do to your aeroplane. I've never had anyone damage an aeroplane on cross-hire but, just the same, the endless list of small things can get annoying. Nowadays, my grumpiness is such that I object to anyone adjusting my seatbelt, and woe betide anyone who doesn't wipe their feet! I'm exaggerating for effect, but many of us do reach a point where we opt for a less favourable financial arrangement, just so the right level of TLC is maintained.

All that said, I have several friends who own a rental aircraft and are quite happy to see it as just another investment. But I note that the rental aircraft is usually not regarded as part of the family, whereas the RV (etc) in the back of the hangar enjoys full one on one affection!