PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATO wanted, to re-train PPL(A)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 07:56
Turb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Jude - That's the next step. Three options:
1. Join a group. Most likely outcome. I have flown a lot of different aircraft and owned shares in a Robin DR400 and a C172 at different times - I would prefer a 4 seater.
2. Find a strip with a hangar and buy my own plane. Planes are not too hard to buy; the difficulty is finding the strip! If I do this it will probably have to be a 2 seater on a permit (or even something like a Kitfox) because I don't think I could afford the running costs of a 4 seater on my own.
3. Form a group to buy land and build a strip. The best group I ever belonged to was the Waveny Flying Group which owned Seething airfield. Owning your own place as well as the plane can be a wonderful arrangement and during my time the WFG was very well run by some very astute people. My home includes a field but it's only 200m long and the approach is awful. So I would have to hunt for a site. At the moment, if the location is right and the application is done right, it's possible to get planning permission much more easily than in the past. I have one friend with his own plane who is renting a field and a very poor quality barn at the moment and we have already discussed buying some land. But it's a lot of work to get something like that "off the ground" so an established group is the most likely option.

I'll start looking in earnest when I get my new EASA and NPL licences from the CAA.